About Caledonia & Mumford

 
Welcome to the all-new Caledonia Mumford community webpage. This page will be used to spread the word about upcoming events as well as to share photos of the events. It is also a great place to find information on our businesses! We are always looking for great ideas to expand the website.

 

The town was settled around 1797 by families from Scotland. In 1803 the town was incorporated into New York as Southampton. The name later changed to Caledonia.

 

The Village of Caledonia was incorporated in 1891. The village forms many associations with the adjacent hamlet of Mumford (Town of Wheatland), even though they are in different counties.

 

Wheatland was formed from the Town of Caledonia in 1821, when the northern part became Inverness[1] and the southern part remained Caledonia. The fish hatchery, on the north end of the village was built by Seth Green and is the oldest in the New World. The Caledonia Fish Hatchery, Caledonia House Hotel, and Clark-Keith House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Caledonia's high school is Caledonia-Mumford Central School, or Cal-Mum. The school's athletic teams are known as the Raiders. Among the stores, restaurants, and public amenities are The MarketPlace Grocery, Seth Graham Design, C.S. Barber, Pizza Land, Daffies Pizza, The Cozy Kitchen, Dollar General, Milex Drugs, Raider Lanes, Gigglin' Pig, Caledonia Library, Iroquois Hotel, and The Village Inn to name a few. The Caledonia Fire Department was established in 1887, existing until recently as both a Rural Fire Commission and a Village Fire Department. Currently the Caledonia Fire District is the elected body which provides oversight and for financial needs of the emergency operations. The Fire Department provides manpower for the Fire District and holds social events and fund raisers for the benefit of the membership. Ambulance services are provided by Genesee Valley Emergency Medical Services (GVEMS) providing two ambulances and one advanced life support fly car. These services are available for both the village and town residents and currently reside within the Caledonia Fire District fire hall.

 

The Seneca Indians had a village in this area called Canawaugus (or Conawagus); however, this village was located on the Genesee River and was closer to Avon, NY. Chief Cornplanter was born here around 1750. The first white settlements occurred around 1795, but the first known permanent settlement began in 1797. The Town of Caledonia was established in 1803 as the "Town of Southampton," having previously been known as "Northampton." It assumed its current name in 1806 due to the influence of settlers from Scotland. Part of Caledonia was used to form the town of Bellona in 1812 whose name changed to the Town of Le Roy (Genesee County) in 1813, and in 1819, another part of Caledonia was removed to form part of the Town of York. The Town of Wheatland (Monroe County) was formed from Caledonia in 1821. The Caledonia House Hotel and Clark-Keith House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

[Credit: Wikipedia]